Monday, December 18, 2006

vacation post

Ah yes vacation... Eight hours in the air, and here I am. Back to my former home state to visit friends and family. Some thoughts and observations on traveling...
1. Overheard conversation in the Indianapolis airport: some guy reading Plato, and asking another: "What's the difference between carrying and being carried?" I think this comes from the Meno. Weird: you expect people to talk about sports, the weather, anything but philosophy in the airport.
2. Strange how the mind meditates on danger. When I'm on the ground, I never think about plane crashes. When I'm driving, I rarely think about crashing. But when I fly, I always think about plane crashes: what it would be like, people I've known who have perished in accidents (1), movies etc. etc. Morbid stuff. Remind me to travel with someone else next time.
3. I know that millions of people pass through airports over the holidays, and so it is strange that I almost always run into or see someone I know when I travel. Yesterday was no different. While sitting there in the dread middle seat (15b), I saw a girl I had a fling with several years ago. Awkward moment, but then I realized that I wouldn't say anything because there wasn't much to chat about. It was a long time ago.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home