Sunday, December 10, 2006

Jandek


Wow -- so I'm one of maybe a thousand people who have seen Jandek play live. He came to Indy last night. Indy! of all places -- hardly a center of music weirdos (even Bloomington would be better). But what weirdos there are were all present last night: nearly everybody I saw plays or played in some indie rock band locally. And my buddy Mike, well he plays in a band and he talked me into buying a ticket and going to the show even after I had cold feet. But hell it was worth it.

Jandek had a backup band of jazz musicians, and thus I realized that his music is no worse or weirder than Ayler or other ESP stuff. It's about the same. Made me want to see more jazz shows in fact -- stuff like Ornette though, who as far as I know never comes through here.

But for those of you who are going to read this and rush out to buy a Jandek record, be forewarned: he comes across live much better than he does on disk. At least that's what I think.
ps: this is *not* a picture from last night's show. We weren't allowed to take snaps (thanks to "eternal summer kitten" for the pic:http://flickr.com/photos/11871727@N00/132442498/)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home