Saturday, December 02, 2006

LPs and CDs



I don't like cds. But I like this one.

Seriously -- the cd was supposed to be an improvement on the lp, and ironically everything "advantageous" about it has problems. It's smaller, and more portable, but it's undeniably ugly: the little plastic cases are chintzy and the artwork ends up being small. It just feels cheap and mass-produced. Of course we know that cds skip, and the noise they make when they skip is much more jarring and grating than the repetitive scratch of a skipping record. I will burn cds for my friends (sorry Nick -- yours is coming), but I will not buy them.

But I love this cd. My Bloody Valentine, Loveless. My favorite scene in Lost in Translation is when Bob and Charlotte are driving home in the cab after karaoke. "Sometimes" plays in the background.
The only thing I don't like about the movie is it makes me feel wistful afterwards. Charlotte reminds me of somebody I once knew. But I guess that's the point.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home