Wednesday, December 20, 2006

more vacation

Some scores from the thrift store:
1. A bunch of old Duran Duran pins. I purchased these for .20 each, and gave them all away to the girls I know here in town. Merry Christmas!
2. LPs: Bobby Fuller, I Fought the Law and Richard Pryor, Black Ben. One dollar each. An old Hank Williams 45: fifty cents. I can't wait to play these when I get home.
3. A cool old western shirt: 1.50.
And so on.

Have engaged in a self-imposed news blackout over vacation, although I am still reading lots. Working my way now through Marx's Grundrisse, which runs to almost 1000 pages. It's not easy going either: it's basically a notebook that Marx wrote in one winter (1857), addressing the structural characteristics and logics of money and capital. To think that he wrote a thousand pages in one season: both inspiring and depressing. What's also amazing is the fact that while he wrote about money he was consistently impoverished: the editor writes about how Marx stayed indoors during the season because he couldn't afford a coat, and how he depended entirely on Engels.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home